…to Pennsylvania Vine Company!!! This site started in 2012 as an online magazine about both the wines of Pennsylvania and the international wines available to consumers in the commonwealth (i.e. through the PLCB). When our fearless co-founder Jeff Alexander moved to New England in 2016, however, we struggled to overcome our sadness, and the site went dormant.
After much consideration, co-founder Mike Madaio has revived PAVC in 2020, with a newfound purpose: to promote high-quality, PA-made wines. We hope you enjoy it!
And don’t forget to join our Facebook Group.
Best Wines of 2019
The 5 favorite PA wines we drank in 2019, in alpha order:
- Galen Glen Winery Fossil Vineyard Riesling 2018
- Galer Estate Rose 2018
- South Shore Wine Company (Mazza) Gruner Veltliner 2018
- Stony Run Winery Gruner Veltliner 2017
- Waltz Vineyards Cherry Tree Merlot 2014
Lost Mount Penn
In November, our fearless leader Mike Madaio released his first book! Lost Mount Penn: Wineries, Railroads & Resorts of Reading explores the fascinating society and wine house culture that made Mount Penn near Reading one of the best known resort regions in the country in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Mike has also been teaching wine classes at What Am I Drinking?! in Bryn Mawr, PA. If you’re nearby, come out and join one!
PA Somm Judgement
Congrats to Galen Glen Winery (Best Wine – 2018 Riesling), Flickerwood Wine Cellars (Best White – Riesling) and Fero Vineyards (Best Red – Saperavi) for bringing home the hardware at the 2019 Philly Somm Judgement. We agreed with two of the three winners…
Other interesting articles about PA Wine:
- How a Winemaker’s Plant-Based Diet Led Her to Grow Austrian Grapes in Pennsylvania (Fortune)
- 10 Must-Visit Pennsylvania Wineries (Eastern Wine Tourist)
- 3 PA Wineries That Are Producing Some Seriously Good Bottles (Philly Mag)
- Descendant. Farmer. Grower. Winemaker. Is This The Promising Lineage For Pennsylvania Wine? (Forbes)