From the rolling vineyards of the Pennsylvania emerge a selection of exceptional dry red wines that have gained recognition and acclaim. These wines have captured the palates and garnered high praise from connoisseurs and critics alike, cementing their status as the top-rated red wines in Pennsylvania.
Within the borders of Pennsylvania, an array of wineries skillfully harness the unique terroir, employing their winemaking prowess to showcase the true potential of the grape varieties they cultivate. Our curated list includes a captivating mix of renowned wineries and hidden gems, each boasting their own distinct styles and expressions. From bold and robust to elegant and refined, these top-rated reds encapsulate the essence of Pennsylvania’s winemaking artistry.
Join us as we explore the multifaceted flavors, intriguing aromas, and remarkable stories behind ten standout red wines from across the state. From the enchanting Va La Cedar to the structured Armstrong Valley Cabernet Franc, these wines have garnered praise, accolades, and loyal followings for their exceptional quality and undeniable appeal.
Whether you’re an avid oenophile or simply curious about Pennsylvania’s wine landscape, this blog post is your gateway to discovering the finest red wines that the state has to offer. Embark on this virtual wine journey with us as we uncork the bottles and delve into the world of Pennsylvania’s top-rated reds, showcasing the craftsmanship, dedication, and passion that go into creating these vinous treasures
Get ready to tantalize your taste buds, awaken your senses, and uncover the true vinous gems that have secured their place as the pinnacle of Pennsylvania’s red wine excellence. Prepare to sip, savor, and celebrate these extraordinary wines that have rightfully earned their spot among the top-rated reds in the state.
- Va La Cedar is a unique and aromatic wine produced by Va La Vineyards in Avondale, Pennsylvania. It is a blend that incorporates five distinct clones of Nebbiolo. The wine offers layers of red and black fruit flavors, along with a distinctive herbal character that adds complexity and depth.
- Vox Vineti Nebbiolo showcases the classic characteristics of this noble Italian grape. Known for its tannic structure, the wine exhibits flavors of red berries, roses, and hints of earthiness, with a long and lingering finish.
- Waltz Cherry Tree Merlot features ripe cherry flavors, subtle notes of dark chocolate, and a velvety texture. It is a well-balanced Merlot with a smooth finish.
- Penns Woods Proprietor Reserve is the Chadds Ford winery’s flagship wine that showcases the best of their winemaking expertise. It is a Bordeaux-style blend, typically consisting of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. This wine displays rich dark fruit flavors, structured tannins, and a lingering finish.
- Presque Isle Wine Cellars Dornfelder is from Pennsylvania’s Lake Erie AVA. It is a relatively rare grape variety, but it is well-suited to the cool climate of the Lake Erie region. The wine has flavors of red fruits, berries, and spice. A perfectly light red for warmer weather or lighter foods.
- Karamoor Meritage is a Bordeaux-style blend crafted in Fort Washington. This wine combines classic Bordeaux varietals such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. It showcases a harmonious blend of flavors, including black currant, blackberry, and hints of spice, with a velvety texture.
- Cadenza Vineyards Bridge is a red wine blend that represents Allegro winery’s dedication to crafting exceptional wines. The specific percentages of this Bordeaux blend may vary, but it typically offers a balanced and layered profile with flavors of dark fruit, spice, and a lingering finish.
- Galen Glen Red German Bastards is a blend that pays homage to the German heritage of the Lehigh Valley region. This wine incorporates German grape varieties such as Dornfelder and Blaufränkisch, offering flavors of dark berries, earthy notes, and a vibrant acidity.
- Fero Saperavi features a Georgian grape variety known for its deep color and intense flavors. This wine typically displays bold dark fruit flavors, firm tannins, and a robust structure.
- Armstrong Valley Cabernet Franc showcases the telltale characteristics of the grape, such as red fruit flavors, herbal notes, and a medium body. It offers a pleasant balance between fruitiness and earthiness, with a smooth and lingering finish.